SLEEP NUMBER BED REVIEWS AND BUYING GUIDE
Is A Sleep Number Mattress Right For you?
A Guide to Buying a Sleep Number Bed
If you’ve been mattress shopping, you’ve likely heard of Sleep Number, a mattress brand that revolves around finding your perfect sleep number. In this buyer’s guide, we dig into the details to explain who Sleep Number is and if it could be the right fit for you. As we review the Sleep Number lineup we will explore details such as pricing, sleep trial, warranty, and more. We’ll also compare popular Sleep Number alternatives so that you can feel confident in your next mattress purchase. Let’s dive in!
In This Article
I8 Review on YouTube
Sleep Number Brand
When Sleep Number founders, Robert “Bob” Walker and JoAnn Walker, struggled to find a mattress that suited them both, they set out to create a bed that wouldn’t require couples to compromise on comfort. Originally founded under the name Select Comfort in 1987 today, Sleep Number is one of the most recognizable names in the mattress industry offering a wide range of sleep products including mattresses, pillows, adjustable bases, and more.
Sleep Number beds fall in 1 of 2 categories: 360® Smart Beds and Value beds, all of which are adjustable air beds. Adjustable air beds are a great solution for couples who prefer different firmness settings, as well as anyone wishing for more control over their sleep experience. With an adjustable air bed, both you and your partner can independently adjust the mattress to match your unique needs.
What is an Adjustable Air Bed and How Does It Work?
Choosing Your Sleep Number Setting
Sleep Number is centered around finding your ideal sleep number setting, a number that ranges from 0 to 100. As you may have guessed, the lower the number, the less air inside the chambers, and the softer the bed will be. The higher the number, the greater the fill of air, and the firmer the bed.
While many of today’s beds are geared towards providing a medium firmness, with an adjustable air bed you aren’t stuck with only one option. Sleep Number puts the power of control in your hands! While finding your dream sleep number setting may take some time, once you discover it, you’ll easily know which setting works best for you. At the same time, your partner will benefit from having their own unique sleep number setting too, eliminating the need for compromise.
Sleep Number Mattress Lineup
As we mentioned earlier, Sleep Number mattresses fall into 1 of 2 categories. The 360® Smart Bed collection, made up of the following 4 series: Classic, Performance, Innovation, and Memory Foam, providing a total of 9 mattress options in total. The Value Bed collection is Sleep Number’s other product line which includes the S1 and the S3. With so many options available it might feel overwhelming making a purchasing decision so keep reading to see how these models compare!
360® Smart Beds
These are the most basic of the 360® smart beds and therefore the least expensive, it includes the C2 and C4 models. They are also the firmest of the collection as they provide the least amount of cushion (comfort layer) between you and the air chambers.
|SLEEP NUMBER c2||SLEEP NUMBER c4|
|Responsive Air® Technology||Yes||Yes|
A step up from the Classic Series, the Performance Series includes the p5, pSE (special edition), and the p6 models. Featuring a slightly taller mattress profile and comfort layers ranging in height between 4” and 5”, the Performance Series is designed to provide enhanced pressure relief.
|SLEEP NUMBER c5||SLEEP NUMBER pSE||SLEEP NUMBER p6|
|Responsive Air® Technology||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Considered the highest rated Sleep Number line, this series, which includes the i8, i10, and ILE combines cooling technology and an even greater focus on pressure relief and support. The mattresses in this series stand at a height of 12”-13” and include comfort layers ranging between 6 and 7 inches in height, meaning it could be a great choice for side sleepers who generally require greater pressure relief. Lastly, this series is designed to absorb and release excess heat, which should please hot sleepers who want maximum cooling benefits.
|SLEEP NUMBER i8||SLEEP NUMBER ILE||SLEEP NUMBER i10|
|Responsive Air® Technology||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Memory Foam Series
The m7, the only bed in this series, stands at a height of 11” with a comfort layer of 5”. This is the only model in the 360® smart bed lineup that uses memory foam, the other models all use a proprietary foam. Memory foam is known for its exceptional contouring abilities but can also be known to retain a bit of heat. The best memory foam mattresses not only provide wonderful pressure-relief but also incorporate cooling technology to help mitigate heat retention.
The Sleep Number S1 and S3 mattresses make up the Value Beds collection. While these models still offer adjustability, they don’t include the ResponsiveAir® technology found in the 360® smart beds, so no more automatic adjustments, you’ll be manually adjusting through the remote. But, if you want the flexibility of an air bed without breaking the bank, this collection could be a great starting point. If you are looking for beds under $1,000, Sleep Number’s S1 model just makes the mark with a queen retailing at $999.00 before any applicable discounts.
|SLEEP NUMBER s1||SLEEP NUMBER s3|
|Responsive Air® Technology||No||No|
|SleepIQ® Technology||Yes (King and Queen only)||Yes (King and Queen only)|
Sleep Number Pros
- Adjustability: No other mattress type offers the same level of customization and adjustability as seen with adjustable air beds/smart beds. As such, air beds are a great option for those who have struggled with finding the right mattress.
- Independent Firmness Settings: You shouldn’t have to sacrifice great sleep just because you and your partner prefer different firmness settings. With an adjustable air bed, couples can independently adjust their side of the bed, providing targeted support and pressure relief.
- SleepIQ® Tracking: The 360® smart beds all include sleep tracking. This technology allows you to track how many hours you sleep, how much of that sleep was restful sleep, as well as things like heart rate and breathing rate. This tool is designed to optimize your sleep routine.
Sleep Number Cons
- Hammocking/Midsection sagging: We discovered with Sleep Number that having only one air chamber could cause the air to dispel towards the head and feet. In some cases, this caused the midsection to sag and meant that the spine was not in proper alignment. In our experience reviewing adjustable air beds and smart beds, we have found that air beds with more than one air chamber on either side of the bed perform better for overall support.
- Rolling Into the Center: Another problem that seems quite common when reviewing Sleep Number complaints is the lack of a support bar down the center of the mattress. Without a support bar, couples frequently felt like they were rolling into the center of the mattress and experienced sagging. This seems to be less relevant for those who sleep alone.
- Too many options: Though this may not seem like a problem, for those who prefer a less is more approach, adjustable air beds may not be the best bet. They offer a lot of customization and control but the adjustment period can take some dedication and perhaps a few restless nights until you find your perfect setting.
Sleep Number Alternatives
Curious what beds are better than a Sleep Number? While Sleep Number is certainly one of the most recognizable brands in the mattress and bedding industry they also have some steep competition. Before you pull the trigger on your new bed purchase we’ve rounded up a list of the best Sleep Number alternatives that may actually be a better fit for your needs.
Sleep Number Purchase Details
Wondering where to buy a Sleep Number bed? Sleep Number products can be purchased in-store or ordered direct-to-consumer. For many, especially in our current pandemic climate, ordering online and having products shipped directly is a simple, hassle-free way to receive your new bed or bed frame! While you can visit a Sleep Number location, ultimately you will need time to adjust to your new mattress. All of the beds we have reviewed on our site offer generous sleep trials, Sleep Number included, providing you with the opportunity to test your new bed in the comfort of your home.
Sleep Number beds come with a 100-night in-home trial period, allowing you to test the bed at home. Adjusting to a new mattress can take some time, especially if you’ve been sleeping on a mattress that has begun to dip or sag. As such, many mattress brands will require an adjustment period to be met before being able to initiate a return. In the case of Sleep Number, this adjustment period is 30 days. If after 30 days you are still not satisfied with your new Sleep Number mattress you may contact Sleep Number to return or exchange before the 100 nights are up.
It is important to note that the 100-night in-home trial only applies to mattresses. Sleep Number offers a range of sleep accessories as well, each with varying trial periods.
- Sleep Number offers a 30-night in-home trial on DualTemp layer purchases.
- Sleep Number bedding is not eligible for returns but may be exchanged one-time during the first 30 days.
- Sleep Number adjustable bases are not eligible for returns.
While many mattresses companies offer free returns, Sleep Number fine print does indicate return shipping/delivery fees will apply to any eligible returns.
Sleep Number has recently updated its warranty policy with purchases after March 29, 2020, as follows:
- 360® Smart Beds – 15-year limited warranty
- Value Beds – 15-year limited warranty
- FlexFit™ Adjustable Bases – 15-year limited warranty
The warranty information provided above is meant as an overview, Sleep Number has a rather complex warranty as compared to other mattresses we have reviewed. Our readers have consistently indicated frustration with the return policy and warranty details. As such, we suggest carefully reading through the warranty for each individual product you purchase. A full list and details of the various Sleep Number warranties can be found at sleepnumber.com.
When Does Sleep Number Have The Best Sales?
Knowing the best time to buy a Sleep Number bed can save you hundreds of dollars. The best mattress deals and discounts generally occur around major holidays. For the budget-conscious shopper Black Friday, Labor Day, and Memorial Day sales are often some of the best times to purchase a Sleep Number mattress. Finding a Sleep Number bed on clearance is another excellent way to maximize your savings.
Sleep Number Adjustable Bed Reviews and Comparisons
If you are at all like me, you like to weigh all of your options before making a major purchase. There’s nothing worse than buyer’s remorse! The purpose of our buyer’s guide is to allow you to make the most informed decision possible in regards to your new bed and that includes understanding how it compares to other products on the market.
We’ve been fortunate enough to review some of the best air adjustable beds on the market and we’ve compared them side by side to help you weigh the pros and cons.