Benefits of Zero Gravity Position
What is the zero-gravity position?
Placing your body in a completely neutral position is at the core of the zero gravity position. It’s called “zero gravity” because it makes your body feel weightless and free of any pressure directed in any specific part of the body.
What are the benefits of a zero-gravity position?
Improved blood circulation — Without any pressure limiting blood flow, your blood can move freely and evenly throughout your blood vessels. This prevents you from tossing and turning as you sleep and also facilitates the restorative functions your body takes on while you sleep since every part of your body can receive oxygen and nutrients and have wastes toted away, unhindered.
Approximately 16% of Americans prefer to sleep on their stomachs, although sleep professionals advise against this position since it has hardly any benefits and can actually cause more problems.
- Improved blood circulation — Without any pressure limiting blood flow, your blood can move freely and evenly throughout your blood vessels. This prevents you from tossing and turning as you sleep and also facilitates the restorative functions your body takes on while you sleep since every part of your body can receive oxygen and nutrients and have wastes toted away, unhindered.
- Fewer aches and pains — Again, with even blood flow through your body at night and no physical stress directed at any one particular spot, you won’t wake up feeling like you “slept in the wrong position.” You’ll feel better during your days, and be better equipped to handle physical activity with no problems. This relief can help sufferers from arthritis and other rheumatic conditions, where joints are particularly susceptible to the discomfort that can be relieved via adjustments and reductions in pressure. Additionally, positioning your spine evenly in space without pressure on any one spot can help prevent back pain.
- Less acid reflux or heartburn – Again, adjustable beds help you lift the head and keep the pathways in your chest open. In this position, you are less likely to have acid splash up into your esophagus, meaning you won’t experience the burning feeling—or even pain—near your heart.
- More restful sleep — Experiencing fewer physical symptoms and disruptions makes it easier for you to have a full night of sleep so that you can wake up feeling rested, alert, and ready to take on your day. Your mental acuity and ability to concentrate is improved when you get better sleep.
- Reduced stress — Many health conditions are linked to stress, but stress reduction is one of the most difficult factors to adjust in the modern lifestyle. But with fewer aches and pains, less heartburn, and more restful sleep, you may start to feel a reduction in your cortisol levels.
How do I achieve a zero-gravity position while I sleep?
Fortunately, we live in an age where an adjustable bed frame is easily within any consumer’s reach, with options to meet every budget. Zero gravity beds are also available to accommodate your mattress, so you are not locked into any one specific brand, material, or mattress feel.
So as you read through mattress reviews and vet your next mattress purchase, you can start to think about how they can help you achieve the best possible sleeping position—and what sort of an adjustable bed would work best for you.