Nectar vs Purple Mattress Comparison
Bed in a box comparison of the Nectar vs Purple mattresses
Nectar vs Nectar Lush vs Purple
Having gained tremendous popularity over the past few years, few mattress brands dominate the bed in a box space like Nectar and Purple. While Nectar has earned a place as one of the best value mattresses online, Purple has made waves for its innovative mattresses, all of which are made with a hyper-elastic polymer, known as the Purple Grid™.
So, how do we compare a memory foam mattress to a mattress made from one of the most unique materials the bedding industry has seen? Who will be the winner in this battle between tradition and innovation? Keep reading as we guide you through construction, pricing, warranties, and more, in our Nectar vs Purple mattress review and comparison.
In This Article
At a Glance
Nectar Mattress Construction
The Original Nectar mattress is not only known as one of the best cheap mattresses but as one of the best bed in a box, memory foam mattresses online today. Building on the success of their flagship model, Nectar has recently released the Nectar Lush, a premium memory foam mattress designed for superior support and enhanced cooling. Let’s take a look inside each mattress!
Standing at 11” in height, Nectar features 4 layers of foam construction. The cover, a cotton/Tencel blend, is breathable and soft to the touch. Quilted into the cover is 1” of gel-infused memory foam designed to help pull heat away from the body.
Next up, 3” of slow response, gel-infused memory foam. This layer provides loads of deep contouring and pressure relief, allowing sleepers to gently sink into the mattress. It’s followed by a transitional layer of memory foam, which has a faster response rate, easing sleepers into the firmer base layer.
Lastly, the base layer is constructed from hi-density poly-foam providing the mattress with support and stability. Learn more in our Nectar Mattress Review.
Featuring 3 layers of premium foam and a soft, cool-to-the-touch mattress cover, the Nectar Lush stands at 12” in height. Inside the comfort layer is three inches of gel-coated memory foam. AquaCool™, found in the midsection of this layer, helps draw heat away and further assists in regulating temperature.
The transition layer is two inches of fast response, Energex™ memory foam, which gives the Lush a bit more bounce and motility than we saw in the original Nectar mattress. Finishing it off is 7” of dense base foam, providing the Nectar Lush with an overall supportive, floaty feel. Learn more in our full Nectar Lush mattress review.
Purple Mattress Construction
Boasting a lower profile, the Purple mattress sits at a height of 9.25”. Sporting a Soft-Flex cover made from Viscose, Polyester, and Lycra, the Purple mattress cover is soft, stretchy, and cool-to-the-touch. Learn more about Purple in our review.
The comfort layer is where Purple really gets creative. Unlike the Nectar mattresses that use memory foam in the comfort layer, Purple uses a 2” Hyper-Elastic Polymer grid. Known as the Purple Grid™, this layer has a honeycomb-like structure that is designed to buckle under pressure, providing relief where you need it most.
Underneath the Purple Grid™ is 3.25” of polyurethane comfort foam. This layer acts as a transition between the Purple Grid™ and the 4” supportive base foam beneath.
Firmness and Feel Of The Nectar Mattresses
The original Nectar and the Nectar Lush mattress offer sleepers a different experience, making the brand accessible to a large audience. The Nectar mattress provides sleepers with a classic memory foam sensation, complete with deep contouring and a hug-like feel. Rather than experiencing the deep sinkage found in the original Nectar mattress, the Nectar Lush provides plenty of pressure relief, while allowing sleepers to feel as if they are suspended, or floating on top of the mattress.
The plush contouring feel of this mattress is particularly suitable for side sleepers. Providing plenty of relief from pressure, this medium to medium-soft mattress could be a great choice for chronic pain sufferers, especially those who struggle with hip or shoulder pain.
Back sleepers should also get on with the Nectar mattress quite well. After experiencing some initial sinkage, the base layer rises up to meet the comfort layer, giving the mattress a balanced, supportive feel.
For stomach sleepers, however, the deep hug of the memory foam may not keep your hips properly lifted. Lightweight or petite sleepers may be comfortable on their stomach but we would not recommend this mattress for heavy stomach sleepers.
Combination sleepers may find the Nectar mattress a bit sluggish. If you tend to move around a lot in your sleep, the slow response memory foam may leave you feeling just a bit stuck. If you are a stomach or combination sleeper, the Nectar Lush is likely to provide a better match.
Generally, the softer a mattress is, the more you sink into. In contrast, the firmer a mattress is, the more you’ll feel as if you are sleeping on top of the mattress. With the Nectar Lush, we definitely felt as if we were floating on the surface of the mattress.
While both mattresses offer a medium to medium-soft feel, we felt the Nectar Lush was just a touch firmer than the original Nectar. And where one mattress falls short the other excels. Combination sleepers will find the Lush responds quickly, allowing movement from one position to the next to occur effortlessly. The slightly firmer feel of the Lush also means it could be a suitable choice for stomach sleepers that still want a plush surface feel.
Like the original Nectar, the Lush provides plenty of pressure relief making it a suitable option for side sleepers and those who suffer from hip and shoulder pain.
Both the Nectar and the Nectar Lush do an excellent job of isolating motion. The dense memory foam layers dampen movement, eliminating any disturbances you might typically experience when sharing a bed.
Firmness and Feel Of The Purple Mattress
The Purple mattress, overall, has a medium to medium-firm feel. Like most mattresses, your height, weight, and sleep position will affect how firm or soft you perceive a mattress to be, this is especially true with Purple. The unique process of column-buckling causes the walls of the grid to collapse under your weight to relieve pressure, the heavier you are, the more the grid compresses and the softer it will feel.
For some, the unusual texture of the grid can take some getting used to, but for the majority of sleepers, ourselves included, this didn’t seem to be a problem. After a break-in period of a few nights, it seems most people were able to adjust to the unique feel and go on to really enjoy their Purple mattress.
Side and back sleepers, in particular, are likely to really enjoy the pressure-relieving benefits of the No Pressure® Purple Grid. Chronic pain sufferers, such as those with fibromyalgia, seem to be quite pleased with their purchase as well.
Additionally, couples will find little disturbance from active sleep partners when sharing the Purple mattress. The highly responsive nature of the grid helped to isolate motion, making this a top choice for couples and combination sleepers.
Unfortunately, stomach sleepers aren’t likely to receive enough support with the Purple mattress. Heavier individuals may also find that the Purple mattress does not provide adequate support to keep the lumbar and hips properly supported. Stomach sleepers and heavier individuals that are still interested in a Purple mattress may wish to consider one of the brand’s hybrid mattresses. The Purple Hybrid and the Purple Hybrid Premier include coils that provide the mattress with additional support.
Other Products By Nectar
Accessorize your new mattress with these other great bedding products by NectarSleep.
- Adjustable Base
- Nectar Sheets
- Mattress Foundations
- Weighted Blanket
Other Products By Purple
Like Nectar, Purple has created a one stop shop for your bedroom needs. Accessorize your new mattress with the following:
- Purple Sheets
- Purple Pillow
- Adjustable Base
Does the Nectar or Purple Mattress Sleep Cooler?
Temperature regulation is another area in which the Purple mattress really shines. In fact, Purple is one of our top picks for hot sleepers. The open grid structure provides 2500+ open-air channels, allowing air to flow freely, rather than staying trapped inside the mattress. As such, the Purple mattress provided a temperature neutral sleeping experience.
Memory foam mattresses, on the other hand, tend to struggle a bit when it comes to temperature control. Heat is easily caught and trapped inside memory foam and can be the cause of a sweaty, unpleasant night. Constructed from mostly memory foam, the Nectar and Nectar Lush mattresses handled heat retention very differently.
While both mattresses include gel-infused memory foam, the Nectar Lush performed significantly better than the original Nectar mattress in regards to cooling. As we mentioned earlier, you’ll feel as if you are sleeping on the Nectar Lush mattress rather than it, this definitely helped eliminate trapped heat.
On the other hand, the original Nectar lets you sink deeply into the foam layers and this can be a recipe for warmer nights. For those that crave this deep hugging sensation but struggle with sleeping hot, picking the right sheets, pillows and sleep accessories can greatly improve your sleep experience.
Nectar vs Purple - Which Mattress is Better?
Choosing the best mattress is a lot like picking a favorite food, it is a personal preference and ultimately, only you can decide what’s best for you. This Nectar vs Purple mattress comparison is meant to serve as a guide to understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each mattress to determine which one is the best fit for you. So, let’s recap!
Nectar Is Best For-
- Budget Shoppers – a queen size Nectar mattress is priced at $799 before discount. Nectar normally includes either a free gift, additional money off, or both. In fact, Nectar is one of our favorite affordable mattresses under $1,000.
- Side Sleepers – Nectar provides a classic memory foam feel that allows for deep sinking and contouring. A great choice for strict side sleepers who crave extra pressure relief and shoulder pain sufferers who struggle with stubborn pressure points.
- Back Sleepers – The base layer of the Nectar mattress provides plenty of support, helping to keep the spine aligned while still providing a gentle cradle-like sensation.
The Nectar Lush Is Best For-
- Combination Sleepers – Perhaps the most versatile of the 3 mattresses in regards to sleep positions, the Nectar Lush balances support and relief wonderfully, making it a suitable option for side, back, and lightweight stomach sleepers. But it is an especially good fit for combination sleepers. You’ll find yourself sleeping more on top of the mattress making the Nectar Lush extremely easy to move around on.
- Hot Sleepers – Because we didn’t sink into the memory foam layers, we didn’t experience the common heat retention issues generally associated with memory foam mattresses. Overall, the Nectar Lush provides a temperature neutral sleeping experience which could be a great choice for those seeking memory foam but who struggle with overheating throughout the night.
Purple Is Best For-
- Hot Sleepers – Purple is hands down one of the most breathable, mattresses we’ve reviewed. The grid allows for maximum airflow and, unlike memory foam mattresses, the silicone-like material does not trap heat. As a result, Purple is a top pick for hot sleepers looking for a temperature neutral sleep experience.
- Combination Sleepers – Like the Nectar Lush, Purple is a great choice for combination sleepers. The grid provides more bounce and responsiveness than memory foam allowing sleepers greater motility.
Avoid Nectar if you are a...
- Stomach Sleepers – Nectar’s deep sinkage may prevent stomach sleepers from achieving the necessary support through the hips, placing stress on the lower back and spine.
- Hot Sleepers – Though the original Nectar does use gel-infused foam we found that as we sank deeper into the memory foam layers the mattress tended to retain more heat than either the Nectar Lush or Purple mattresses.
Avoid The Nectar Lush If Your Are A...
- Budget Shoppers – With a queen size retailing at $1499, the Nectar Lush is a premium memory foam mattress better suited for those not shopping on a strict budget.
- Heavier Stomach Sleepers – The top layer of memory foam may provide just a bit more sinkage than is ideal for stomach sleepers, especially those over 230 lbs.
Avoid Purple If You Are A...
- Heavier Individuals – Purple responds to pressure through a process called “column-buckling”. As more weight is exerted, the grid collapses to relieve pressure. Heavier individuals, regardless of sleep position may not experience the necessary support for comfortable sleep.
- Stomach Sleepers – Purple seems to be favored the least by those who sleep on their stomach. We found that Purple’s response to pressure, while a wonderful benefit to those with chronic pain, simply did not provide adequate support to keep the hips lifted.
Nectar vs Purple Conclusion
So, that sums it up! We hope our Nectar vs Purple mattress comparison has helped you choose the best mattress for you. Did we leave something out? Still have questions? Drop us a comment below.
ASLReviews is the top destination for high quality, unbiased mattress reviews. We are committed to honesty and sincerity in each and every mattress review. You may also be interested in viewing our many mattress review videos on our YouTube channel.