6 Best Cooling Mattresses in 2023
If you’re a hot sleeper, finding the right mattress can make all the difference in getting a good night’s sleep. With the latest innovations in bedding technology, there are now more options than ever to help keep you cool and comfortable while you sleep. In this blog, we’ll look at some of the best cooling mattresses of 2023 and what makes them stand out.
From innovative cooling materials to built-in temperature regulation systems, we’ll help you find the right mattress to help you get the rest you need. So, whether you’re struggling with night sweats or just want to stay cool, these cooling mattresses are sure to aid you in getting a comfortable, restful night’s sleep.
Best Mattresses for Hot Sleepers
- Eight Sleep Pod Pro – Editor’s Pick
- Amerisleep AS3 – Best Cooling Mattress for Back Pain
- Brooklyn Bedding Aurora – Best Cooling Hybrid Mattress
- Purple Hybrid Premier – Best Cooling Mattress for Pressure Relief
- Serta iComfort – Best Cooling Memory Foam Mattress
- WinkBeds EcoCloud – Best Latex Mattress for Side Sleepers
Eight Sleep is designed with cooling technology to ensure a comfortable and restful night’s sleep. With dual-zone temperature control, each side of the mattress can be set to a different temperature, making it an ideal choice for couples with different sleep preferences. This feature, combined with the ability to adjust the temperature anywhere between 55 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit, provides a personalized sleep experience.
The mattress also features seamless sensing technology and Intelligent SmartTemp™ AI that work together to continuously adjust the temperature throughout the night. This helps to maintain an optimal sleep temperature and prevent overheating, promoting deeper and more restful sleep.
The temperature sensors, piezo films, and ballistocardiography monitor both the bed and room temperature to provide an optimal sleep temperature. Furthermore, the breathable foam construction and airflow channels of the Pod Pro Mattress help to circulate air and prevent heat buildup.
The Eight Sleep Pod Pro offers not only advanced temperature regulation technology but also includes other smart features aimed at improving sleep quality. One such feature is sleep tracking, which provides valuable information about sleep patterns and habits. Additionally, the mattress is equipped with a GentleRise alarm clock, allowing a more natural and less jarring wake-up experience. The alarm clock has two options for waking up: increased heat or gentle vibrations. This allows sleepers to start their day in a relaxed and rejuvenated state.
The Amerisleep mattress is engineered for a cooler, more breathable night’s sleep. The mattress features a breathable cover made of a soft, moisture-wicking fabric that helps to wick away sweat and keep you cool. Additionally, the mattress is constructed with open-cell foam that allows air to circulate freely and prevents heat buildup.
The Amerisleep mattress also features Bio-Pur, a plant-based foam comfort layer that is more breathable and cooler than traditional petroleum-based foam. This layer helps to absorb and dissipate heat away from the body, providing a cooler and more comfortable sleep surface. Bio-Pur has a fast response time, returning to its original shape quickly, further reducing heat retention.
In addition to its excellent cooling benefits, Amerisleep is well-known for its focus on comfort, support, and sustainability. Amerisleep offers a range of mattresses with different firmness options, catering to all sleeping positions and comfort preferences. Amerisleep mattresses also include HIVE technology; this zoned support layer provides optimal support and pressure relief.
Lastly, The company uses eco-friendly materials and processes to produce its mattresses, including plant-based foam and eco-friendly materials. This commitment to sustainability sets Amerisleep apart from many other mattress brands, making it a popular choice for customers looking for an environmentally conscious option.
Whether you’re a hot sleeper or simply prefer a cool and comfortable sleep environment, the Amerisleep mattress is a great choice.
The Brooklyn Aurora mattress is designed with cooling in mind, featuring multiple technologies that work together to regulate temperature and help you sleep cooler. One of the key components of the mattress is TitanCool™, a phase-changing material (PCM) featured in the mattress cover and comfort layer that draws heat away from the body and disperses it throughout the mattress. This increases airflow, helping to prevent hot spots.
Furthermore, the mattress features copper and gel infusions to draw heat away from your body, along with pocketed coils that improve air circulation and breathability, thereby reducing the risk of overheating. These cooling technologies ensure a restful and refreshing sleep, even on warm nights.
In addition to its cooling properties, the Brooklyn Aurora mattress provides excellent pressure relief and support. Available in 3 firmness options, the mattress features a support layer of individually encased coils that helps to align the spine and reduce pain and discomfort, particularly in the back, hips, and shoulders.
Hot sleepers looking for the best hybrid mattress should definitely have the Brooklyn Aurora on their watchlist!
The Purple Mattress is designed with hot sleepers in mind, featuring a top layer made of the patented Purple Grid™. This innovative grid is made from a hyper-elastic polymer material that allows for maximum airflow. No more tossing and turning, trying to find a cool spot on the mattress.
In addition to the Purple Grid™, the Premier Hybrid has a breathable, stretchy cover designed to wick away moisture and sweat, further reducing heat buildup. Individually wrapped coils provide additional airflow, dispersing heat away from your body, making this truly one of the best cooling mattresses we’ve reviewed!
But the Purple Premier Hybrid isn’t just a great option for hot sleepers; it’s also wonderfully pressure-relieving. The unique grid design of the mattress will respond to your body’s pressure points, providing comfort and support where you need it most. Whether you’re a back sleeper, side sleeper, or stomach sleeper, the Purple Mattress will help you wake up feeling refreshed and pain-free.
If you’re a hot sleeper looking for a mattress that will keep you cool while alleviating stubborn pressure points, any of the Purple Mattresses are a worthy consideration.
Up to $900 Off Mattresses + Select Bases
Up to $900 Off Mattresses + Select BasesShow Less
Are you a hot sleeper who struggles to find comfort when sleeping on your side? The Serta iComfort CF4000 could be the answer to your problems!
This mattress features advanced cooling technologies that work together to regulate your body temperature throughout the night. One of the key features is the Max Cold™ Cover, which is made with a moisture-wicking material that helps to reduce sweat and heat buildup.
The Serta iComfort also features a layer of Carbon Fiber Memory Foam. This layer has a slow response feel, providing the deep contouring most side sleepers crave while also channeling heat away from your body.
Another key feature of the CF4000 is the Air Support Foam layer. This foam is designed to provide extra pressure relief and support to the sleeper. It works by creating small air pockets that allow air to circulate freely throughout the mattress. This not only helps regulate temperature but also helps to relieve pressure points by evenly distributing weight across the surface of the mattress.
By reducing pressure on sensitive areas such as your hips and shoulders, the Serta iComfort targets stubborn painful pressure buildup making it a great option for side sleepers and hot sleepers alike.
This innovative hybrid mattress combines the pressure-relieving benefits of latex with the cool and responsive support of coils, making it a great option for those who want the best of both worlds.
The EcoCloud is constructed with eco-friendly materials, such as natural Talalay latex, which is durable and long-lasting. The Talalay latex comfort layer is naturally breathable and helps regulate temperature as you sleep. The latex also conforms to your body, providing customized support and reducing pressure points.
Additionally, the mattress is made with recycled steel coils, which provides great support and reduces the carbon footprint of the mattress production process. The individually wrapped coils further promote airflow, dissipating heat and keeping you cool and comfortable throughout your slumber.
As a result, The WinkBeds EcoCloud is a great choice for hot sleepers looking for a cooling mattress and an excellent option for eco-conscious shoppers.
How Does Temperature Affect Your Sleep?
Sleeping at an optimal temperature is important because it affects sleep quality and overall health. A comfortable sleeping environment can help the body relax, fall asleep faster, and stay asleep throughout the night. When the body overheats, it can interfere with the sleep cycle, causing tossing and turning, waking up frequently, and difficulty falling back asleep. This can lead to decreased sleep quality and increased fatigue during the day.
Additionally, sleep plays a crucial role in regulating the body’s temperature and metabolism, and maintaining an optimal sleeping temperature can help these processes occur efficiently. Sleeping in a cool environment can also improve the body’s ability to heal and repair itself and boost the immune system.
In summary, sleeping at an optimal temperature is essential for getting a good night’s sleep, improving overall health and well-being, and maintaining a strong and healthy body.
What Is The Optimal Sleep Temperature?
The ideal sleep temperature is typically between 60-67°F (15-19°C). This temperature range helps the body relax and fall asleep more easily. It also helps regulate the body’s temperature, promoting restful and rejuvenating sleep.
It’s important to note that everyone’s ideal sleep temperature is different, and some people may prefer it to be slightly cooler or warmer. The best way to determine the ideal sleep temperature is to experiment and find what works best for you. It’s also important to consider factors such as age, health conditions, and personal preference when determining the optimal sleep temperature.
What Should Hot Sleepers Look For When Buying A New Mattress?
- Breathable materials: A mattress with breathable materials like latex, gel memory foam, or open-cell foam helps regulate temperature and prevent heat buildup.
- Cooling technology: Mattresses with built-in cooling technology like gel-infused foam, phase change materials, or ventilation systems can help regulate body temperature and prevent overheating.
- Firmness: A firmer mattress can help prevent overheating by allowing for better air circulation and reducing body-to-mattress contact.
- Hypoallergenic materials: Hot sleepers may benefit from a mattress made with hypoallergenic materials to prevent allergens and dust mites that can affect sleep quality.
- Durable construction: A well-made mattress built to last and maintain its cooling properties over time is important for hot sleepers.
- Good support: A supportive mattress that can maintain proper spinal alignment can help reduce pressure points and prevent overheating.
- Moisture-wicking cover: A moisture-wicking cover can help wick away sweat and reduce the risk of overheating.
- Easy to clean: A mattress with a removable and washable cover can make maintenance easier for hot sleepers.
What materials are best for keeping a mattress cool?
In this guide, we have included the best cooling options from various mattress types. Still, it is important to note that, in general, some materials perform better than others when it comes to temperature regulation. In this next section, we will break down the mattress types and what characteristics you can expect from each to help you determine which material is most suitable for you.
Memory foam mattresses are known for their contouring ability, which allows them to conform to the body and provide excellent pressure relief. Some memory foam mattresses are designed with cooling technologies, such as gel-infused foam or ventilation systems, which can promote cooling and prevent overheating. The dense nature of memory foam can sometimes trap heat, so it’s important to choose a mattress with good airflow or a cooling gel infusion to offset this.
Latex mattresses are known for their breathability, which allows for better air circulation and prevents heat buildup. Latex is also naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making it a great option for those who suffer from allergies or asthma. Latex provides excellent support, which can help reduce pressure points and improve spinal alignment, further contributing to a cooler and more restful night’s sleep.
Hybrid mattresses combine the comfort and support of innerspring coils with the pressure relief and temperature regulation of memory foam or latex. Hybrid mattresses often have a cooling layer, such as gel-infused foam or a breathable cover, to prevent overheating. The coils in a hybrid mattress also provide better airflow and ventilation, helping to regulate body temperature.
Adjustable Air Beds
Adjustable air beds offer customizable comfort and support by allowing you to adjust the firmness and support of the mattress using a remote or app. Some adjustable air beds are designed with cooling technologies, such as air vents or breathable covers, which improves airflow and promotes cooling. Adjusting the air pressure can also help distribute weight and reduce pressure points, contributing to a cooler and more comfortable night’s sleep.
What materials are best for keeping a mattress cool?
All four types of mattresses can offer cooling benefits to hot sleepers through cooling technologies or breathable materials. They all aim to provide a comfortable and supportive sleep surface that regulates body temperature and helps prevent overheating.
The main difference between these mattresses is the materials and construction that make up the bed. Memory foam and latex offer pressure relief and contouring. Hybrids combine innerspring coils with foam for a combination of comfort and support. While adjustable air beds offer customizable firmness and support, making them a great option for those who want to adjust their sleep surface for maximum comfort.
Mattress Cooling Technology
There are several mattress cooling technologies available in the market, each with its unique benefits:
- Gel-infused foam: Gel-infused foam helps to dissipate heat away from the body to keep you cool and comfortable.
- Copper-infused foam: Copper is a natural conductor of heat known to have antimicrobial properties. Copper-infused foams help regulate temperature, keep you cool, and provide antimicrobial benefits.
- Phase Change Material (PCM): PCM is a special material that changes from solid to liquid and vice versa when it absorbs or releases heat. This helps to regulate temperature by absorbing heat when it gets too warm and releasing it when it gets too cold.
- Airflow channels: Some mattresses feature a design with airflow channels to help circulate air and keep you cool. This allows for greater ventilation and reduces heat buildup in the mattress.
- Breathable cover: A breathable mattress cover can help to wick away moisture and allow air to circulate, keeping you cool and comfortable.
Each of these technologies has its own unique benefits and can be used in combination to provide a more effective cooling solution. It is important to choose a mattress with the right cooling technology to meet your individual needs and preferences.
Tips For A Cooler Night's Sleep
In addition to choosing a cooling mattress, there are several other tips that hot sleepers can follow for a cooler night’s sleep:
- Keep the room cool: Maintaining a cool room temperature can help regulate body temperature and reduce overheating while sleeping. Do this by using a fan or air conditioner or opening windows if the weather permits.
- Use breathable bedding: Switch to breathable materials such as cotton or linen sheets and pillowcases, as well as lightweight comforters or duvets. These materials can help wick away moisture and promote air flow, keeping you cool and comfortable all night long.
- Wear breathable pajamas: Opt for lightweight and breathable pajamas made from materials like cotton or bamboo, which are breathable and cool.
- Use Cooling Accessories: There are several cooling accessories that can help hot sleepers stay cool while sleeping. For example, the BedJet is a climate control device that blows hot or cool air directly into the bed. Another option (and our favorite) is the Eight Sleep Pod Thermo Cover. This smart mattress cover can regulate the temperature of your mattress using water-cooling technology. These accessories can provide an extra layer of cooling, helping to ensure a comfortable and restful night’s sleep.
- Avoid spicy or heavy meals before bedtime: Eating heavy or spicy foods before bed can increase body temperature and cause discomfort while sleeping. Instead, opt for lighter meals and snacks that won’t interfere with your sleep.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help regulate body temperature and prevent overheating while sleeping. However, avoid drinking large amounts of fluids before bed, as this can cause frequent trips to the bathroom during the night.
By following these tips and choosing a cooling mattress, hot sleepers can enjoy a comfortable and restful night’s sleep.
In conclusion, finding the best cooling mattress is crucial for getting a good night’s sleep, especially for hot sleepers. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose one. But it’s important to consider factors such as firmness, material, technology, and personal preferences to make the right decision.
Whether it’s the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora, the Serta iComfort CF4000, the WinkBeds EcoCloud, or any other top-rated cooling mattress, investing in a quality mattress can help provide a comfortable and refreshing sleeping experience. Make sure to research and choose the one that suits your needs and budget for a peaceful and restful sleep!