Best Hybrid Mattress of 2023
Have you been searching for a new mattress but need help figuring out where to start? Do you want the body-contouring properties of memory foam but still like a bit of bounce in your bed? If you want a durable mattress that provides optimal comfort and support, a hybrid might be right for you!
Hybrid mattresses combine the best features of other mattress types to create a luxurious, supportive, and long-lasting product. But what makes hybrid mattresses so special? Keep reading to find out more about these products and see our top picks for 2023!
Best Hybrid Mattresses
- DreamCloud Premier – Editor’s Pick
- Brooklyn Signature – Best Affordable Hybrid
- WinkBeds – Best Hybrid Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Saatva Classic – Best Hybrid Mattress for Back Pain
- Bear Elite – Best Hybrid Mattress for Shoulder Pain
- Leesa Legend – Best Hybrid Mattress for Couples
- Helix Dawn – Best Hybrid Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Nest Bedding Owl – Best Latex Hybrid Mattress
25% OFF + $599 Of Accessories
The DreamCloud Premier is one of the best hybrid mattresses on the market. This luxury hybrid is affordable, suits a wide range of sleep positions and preferences, and comes with a Lifetime warranty.
It’s made with individually wrapped coils, poly foams, and a quilted pillow top. This gives the DreamCloud Premier a balanced sleeping experience that supports your back and prevents painful pressure points. While its medium-firm feel works well for most sleep positions, it is especially suitable for back sleeping.
Additionally, The Premier boasts reinforced edge support and above-average motion isolation, making it an ideal choice for couples.
Why We Love It –
- The DreamCloud Premier has a luxury, hotel-style feel.
- Individually wrapped coils provide responsiveness and bounce, allowing combination sleepers to move easily from one sleep position to the next.
- The DreamCloud Premier provides gentle cushioning and solid support for side, back, and stomach sleepers.
- The DreamCloud Premier mattress offers superior edge support, minimal motion transfer, and a balanced feel—all great features for couples.
- The DreamCloud Premier slept a bit warm; hot sleepers should check out our list of best cooling mattresses.
- Not ideal for individuals looking for a classic, slow-response memory foam feel.
25% OFF Sitewide w/code: WINTER25
The Brooklyn Signature Hybrid Mattress combines excellent quality with an affordable price. It’s one of the few hybrid mattresses we’ve reviewed that offers a queen-size mattress for less than $1,000 after discounts!
Available in 3 different firmnesses (soft, medium, and firm), the Brooklyn Signature could be a great fit for any sleeping position—whether you sleep on your back, side or stomach.
Additionally, it’s an excellent choice for couples! Thick layers of foam and individually wrapped coils isolate motion exceptionally well. Furthermore, above-average edge support ensures that sleepers will not roll out of bed—even if they share a smaller-sized mattress, such as Queen.
Why We Love It –
- Excellent value for the price
- Multiple Firmness Options make it suitable for all sleep positions.
- Minimal motion transfer, good edge support, and excellent ease of movement make the Brooklyn Signature a great choice for couples and combination sleepers.
- The Brooklyn Signature Hybrid affords sleepers a temperature-neutral sleep experience.
The WinkBeds mattress is one of the most popular hybrid mattresses on the market. Available in multiple firmness levels, it could be a great choice for all sleeping positions. Still, we’d recommend the soft version for side sleepers. With its Euro-pillow top, soft comfort layer, and firm support core, this mattress delivers exceptional pressure relief and balanced support.
The Euro-pillow top includes gel-infused foam, which pulls heat away from the body. At the same time, pocketed coils located in the support core promote airflow. As a result, the WinkBed is also an excellent option for hot sleepers!
Why We Love It –
- Multiple firmnesses make The WinkBed a great choice for all body types and sleep positions. Choose from soft, luxury firm, firm, and plus (for individuals weighing 230 lbs and up).
- This design allows optimal airflow throughout the night, which helps regulate body temperature and reduce perspiration.
- The WinkBed is one of the heaviest mattresses we’ve reviewed. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have mattress handles for easier carrying.
- The cost of The WinkBed may be prohibitive for some budget shoppers.
Up To $500 OFF
The Saatva mattress is a luxury hybrid that offers some of the best support for back pain. It is made with lumbar zone technology, which keeps your spine aligned and comfortable, no matter your sleep position. It also has a plush euro pillow top that cradles you to relieve pressure points and individually pocketed comfort coils for added support during the night.
This hotel-style mattress is made from high-quality, eco-friendly materials. It comes in 3 firmness options. The plush soft model is ideal for lightweight individuals (less than 130 lbs) and side sleepers. The luxury firm model is suitable for all sleep positions. And lastly, the firm option is recommended for stomach sleepers and heavy individuals (230 lbs+).
Why We Love It –
- It’s made with certiPUR-US certified foams, non-toxic flame retardant, and recycled steel coils.
- It’s treated with antimicrobial treatment to prevent the growth of mold, mildew, and bacteria.
- It comes in 3 firmness options suitable for all body types and sleep positions.
- The Saatva Classic has a coil-on-coil construction that can transfer motion between sleepers.
Get 35% OFF Sitewide & FREE accessories
The Bear Elite Hybrid is a great option for anyone struggling with shoulder pain. It features a Celliant-powered fabric that improves sleep and boosts recovery. This mattress also includes zoned support for optimal spinal alignment, pressure relief, and support where you need it most.
The Bear Elite Hybrid offers multiple firmness options making it a good fit for all sleep positions and body types. For example, if you tend to sleep on your back or stomach, you can choose a firmer version of this mattress. Copper-infused memory foam regulates temperature, minimizes motion transfer, and enhances pressure relief at key points on your body (such as your shoulders).
Why We Love It –
- Celliant-treated fabric improves sleep and speeds up recovery.
- Copper-infused foam is antimicrobial and thermo-regulating.
- Utilizes zoned support to align your spine and soothe pressure points.
- It’s expensive. There may be better options for budget shoppers.
Up to $700 OFF mattress + 2 FREE Pillows
We found the Leesa Legend a great all-around mattress, especially for couples. This luxury mattress boasts zoned support which should be pleasing for most sleepers, regardless of weight or sleep position.
Side sleepers should experience plenty of cushioning and pressure relief. In contrast, back and stomach sleepers receive adequate support through the lumbar. As a result, the Leesa Legend could work well for couples with different firmness preferences.
Furthermore, the Legend demonstrates minimal motion transfer allowing couples to sleep soundly without being disturbed by their partner’s movements. It also comes with excellent edge support, allowing couples to utilize the full surface area of the mattress.
What We Love –
- The Leesa Legend is made with plant-friendly materials such as recycled steel and plastics.
- Zoned support helps distribute weight evenly for a more comfortable sleep.
- This mattress is great for couples because of its outstanding edge support and motion isolation.
- The Leesa Legend is a luxury hybrid mattress with a much higher price tag than other brands. There may be better options for budget shoppers.
- It is available as a Twin XL but not in a standard Twin size.
Up to $350 Off & 2 Free Pillows
Looking for a mattress that’s great for stomach sleepers? The Helix Dawn is a perfect choice. It has a firm feel, ideal for back and stomach sleepers. It includes individually wrapped coils and a latex foam comfort layer, which gives the mattress a responsive feel that helps keep sleepers from sinking deeply into the mattress.
Furthermore, the Helix Dawn has decent motion isolation, so you won’t disturb your partner when you move around. It also has reinforced edge support that helps keep sleepers from rolling off the bed during the night. This is especially important if you share your bed with someone else regularly.
Why We Love It –
- The bouncy, responsive latex foam and individually wrapped coils create a firm mattress feel, ideal for stomach sleepers.
- Affordable, with a queen-size mattress costing just over $1,000.
- A Luxe upgrade option is available, providing enhanced comfort, support, and cooling features.
- The Helix Dawn may be too firm for strict side sleepers.
Up to 60% OFF all mattresses
This eco-friendly mattress is constructed with organic cotton, Joma wool, and Natural Dunlop Latex. Offered in multiple firmness options, the Nest Bedding Owl is suitable for all body types and sleep positions. This makes it the perfect choice for sleepers with a range of needs.
Nest Bedding is one of the only mattress brands offering a dual split option where customers can choose to have one side firm while the other is soft. Choose this option if you and your partner have different firmness preferences!
And suppose you want to extend the life of your mattress. In that case, Nest Bedding has you covered. They offer a lifetime renewal exchange program that allows you to swap out the comfort layer for a new one (one-time), extending the life of your mattress.
Why We Love It –
- All the foams are certiPUR-US certified, and the Dunlop latex is OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified.
- It’s designed to sleep cool. Aerated latex and individually wrapped coils promote breathability, which helps the mattress disperse heat.
- Multiple firmness options, interchangeable comfort layers, and internal split firmness options are available.
- Although a queen-sized mattress costs around $2,000, it comes with a lifetime exchange policy that can double or even triple its lifespan. Over time this decreases the average ownership cost of your mattress.
Shopping for a Hybrid Mattress
Shopping for a new mattress can be a daunting task. Consider your budget, size requirements, and personal preference when shopping for a hybrid mattress. If you’re looking for a hybrid, the following considerations can help you make the best decision.
Firmness & Feel
When looking at hybrid mattresses, it’s important to consider the firmness and feel. A firmer mattress will provide more support for your back and hips. A softer mattress relieves sensitive pressure points like the hips and shoulders.
Consider your sleep position when deciding which is the best hybrid mattress. There are three main types of sleepers: back, side and stomach. Each type of sleeper will need different firmness and comfort levels for their hybrid mattress.
Another factor to consider when choosing a hybrid mattress is your body weight. Heavier sleepers will need a firmer, more supportive mattress, while lighter sleepers may prefer a softer and more cushioned option.
Some sleepers tend to overheat while sleeping, which can cause restless nights and sleep interruptions. Hybrid mattresses are great for temperature regulation, making them one of the best mattress types for hot sleepers.
A mattress with good motion isolation will minimize the disturbance your partner feels when you move around at night. While all-foam mattresses isolate motion better than innerspring mattresses, hybrids fall somewhere in between.
When shopping for a hybrid, look for a mattress with thick foam comfort layers or a pillow top to help dampen movement.
Mattresses with good edge support prevent you from rolling off the edges of your bed. Hybrid mattresses, which contain memory foam and innerspring components, usually provide more edge support than traditional all-memory foam models. They’re a great choice for people who sleep near the edge of their beds.
Materials & Construction
Most hybrids use latex or memory foam as their primary comfort layer, followed by a layer of individually wrapped or pocketed coils for extra support. As a result, hybrids are typically more supportive and durable than all-foam mattresses, making them a better choice for individuals weighing more than 230 lbs.
Hybrid mattresses are usually more expensive, but they’re worth it if you want the best of both worlds. The price of hybrids can vary quite a bit, but you can expect to pay between $1,000 and $3,000 for a high-quality hybrid mattress. If you’re looking for something more affordable, check out our guide to the best budget mattresses.
Hybrids vs Other Mattress Types
Hybrid vs Innerspring
The more traditional innerspring mattress remains a popular go-to choice for many consumers. Unlike memory foam, innerspring mattresses are excellent at cooling and a top choice for hot sleepers. For those who wish to avoid memory foam’s off-gassing (chemical smell), an innerspring mattress is again a clear winner.
Coils also provide a responsive bounce that is especially desirable for bedroom fun. However, it’s a double-edged sword; the increased bounciness of an innerspring mattress also means added motion transfer. If you have a partner that tosses and turns, this can mean disrupted sleep for you. Look for an innerspring mattress that utilizes individually wrapped coils to decrease motion transfer.
Hybrid vs Memory Foam
Memory foam has become wildly popular within the bed-in-a-box industry because of its pressure-relieving and body-contouring properties. Designed to work with your body’s natural heat, memory foam conforms to your body, melting away pressure points and providing unparalleled comfort. Memory foam also tends to have a slow response rate which is great for keeping motion transfer to a minimum.
However, memory foam comes with a few problems. Memory foam is known to retain heat. This can be a major deterrent if you are already a hot sleeper. Secondly, an all-foam mattress may wear down faster over time than an innerspring mattress would. Lastly, those looking for a bit of bounce or spring may be disappointed, as memory foam typically has a slower response rate and lacks the springiness of latex or coils.
Check out our Best Memory Foam Mattresses!
Hybrid vs. Latex Mattresses
Latex mattresses are made from a material extracted from the Heavea-Brasilenis (rubber trees). While some mattresses are made from all-natural latex, the majority of latex mattresses are made from a blend of synthetic and natural latex.
Latex is known for its durability and pressure relief, and it is naturally hypoallergenic to boot! While latex offers a lot of pressure relief, it doesn’t perform quite as well as memory foam, so keep that in mind. It does offer some nice bounce, but with this again comes more motion transfer. Lastly, latex comes with a higher price tag, so it isn’t ideal for anyone on a strict budget.
Who Should Buy A Hybrid Mattress
Hybrids offer all the comfort and support benefits of memory foam but with some added benefits like better airflow and less heat retention than pure memory foam mattresses. Plus, it’s easier to move around on (and get out of bed in the morning!) than an all-foam mattress.
Hybrid mattresses generally have better edge support than all-foam models. Consequently, they are also a good choice for couples or seniors with limited mobility.