Sleep Number i8 Mattress review
Thinking of buying a new bed? Read our Sleep Number bed and mattress reviews for a smart buying decision. You most likely know Sleep Number from the many ads and stores across America. Is it worth the hype? Check out our unbiased Sleep Number Mattress review to see if it will be a good choice for you.
Sleep Number i8 Mattress Review - Youtube
Foam and Air Construction
- Top Cover: A stretchy soft cover that has outlast technology. This makes the cover cool to the touch.
- 6″ Proprietary Foam: It is a comfort foam, and is coupled with a cooling gel layer that provides cooling relief and temperature balance.
- Air chambers: There is 1 air chamber on each side of the bed. This is good for being able to independently adjust each sides firmness level. We have found after researching other mattresses, that having more than one chamber on each side is the best for support. Only 1 chamber can sometimes create a hammock effect. See our air bed comparison for more details.
Firmness & Feel
We found that the motion transfer was just ok with the Sleep Number i8. We did feel a little bit of movement especially because there is only one chamber on each side.
Sleep Number beds come with a 100 night sleep trial. After 30 days if you are not completely satisifed with your purchase you can return/exchange it. It does appear that you may be required to pay return shipping fees. The sleep trial applies to the bed only, adjustable bases are considered final sale and not eligibile for a refund. To read more about the sleep trial click here.
What is the Warranty?
Sleep Number comes with a 25 year limited warranty.
Sleep Number in general is very expensive for the mattress industry. The i8 Queen is around $3299 depending on the sale they are running at the time. That being said, you are paying for the technology they offer and the ability to try it in a brick and mortar store.
Is the Sleep Number i8 right for you?
We recommend the Sleep Number i8 mattress if:
- You want a variety of options to choose from, Sleep Number has an extensive lineup available.
- You and your partner prefer different firmness settings and want dual adjustability.
The Sleep Number i8 might not be the right fit if:
- You and your partner like to snuggle up, unlike other air beds we have reviewed sleep number does not have a reinforced support bar between the two air chambers. This left couples rolling into the center of the bed while the air dispelled to the outer edges.
- You’re looking for a budget mattress.
Lack of transparency from Sleep Number seemed to be a leading complaint. If you are thinking of purchasing a sleep number we would strongly advise you thoroughly read through their warranty and sleep trial conditions. As we mentioned earlier, while the mattress is eligible for 100 night sleep trial, this does not include the adjustable base which is considered final sale.
We’ve also seen a number of complaints regarding Sleep Number standing behind their warranty, with hidden fees and service issues being a leading gripe.
Lastly, we’ve seen a number of complaints regarding sagging and discomfort of the mattress over time. We strongly recommend an air bed that offers multiple air chambers per side with the ability to adjust the lumbar region independently from the neck and shoulder and hips and legs. We also encourage looking for an air bed that has reinforced foam support between the 2 sides of the bed. This will eliminate partners rolling into the center of the mattress.
If you’re looking into buying the perfect mattress for yourself, have a look at our in-depth reviews on the best luxury air beds.
Our Latest Reviews
You are in the market for a new mattress, but where do you start? Our top 10 best mattresses of 2019 include our top picks based on overall performance. We compare construction, pricing, warranties, sleep trials and more to make your buying experience easier by providing you with the facts about these beds along with our own experiences through our extensive review process. So, let’s get to it!