Tempur-Pedic Mattress review
- True Memory Foam Feel
- Long Track Record In The Mattress Industry
- Deep contouring and pressure relief
Type – Memory Foam
Firmness – Medium-Medium Firm
Sleep Trial – 100 Night
Warranty – 10 year
Shipping – Free Shipping & Returns
In This Article
See Current Offers
If I were to ask you what is the first memory foam mattress company that comes to mind, it would likely be Tempur-Pedic. It was first introduced to the United States in 1992 and was based on NASA’s foam that was developed to assist in a more shock resistant seat in their aircrafts. In 2012 Tempur-Pedic merged with mattress giant, Sealy and quickly became a household name. We have unboxed the Tempur-Cloud by Tempur-Pedic and put it to the test. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of the Tempur-Pedic mattress in this unbiased mattress review.
Foam designed for outer space?
Tempur-Pedic is based off of foam that was developed by NASA to absorb shock when lifting off and landing their aircraft. That being said, Tempur-Pedic claims their foam is different than all other memory foams out there. It also has a hefty price tag to go along with this claim. So we have tested the mattress and compared its feel to the numerous mattresses we have tested so far to see if it’s worth the extra dime.
- Smartclimate System cover: this has a very stretchy soft feel and is cool to the touch. It is put together with a heavy duty zipper for the convenience of removing and washing.
- Tempur ES (Extra Soft) memory foam: this layer is a true memory foam it will allow you to sink in with a very slow response feel
- Tempur foam: this layer seems to be a transition layer and has more of a quick response to help you from sinking too far into the bed
- Base foam: it is simply that, a layer to provide support.
Tempur-Pedic Firmness & Feel
We felt the Tempur-Cloud was a 6.5 on the firmness scale. For us, it was a little too firm for side sleepers and did not provide enough pressure relief in the shoulder and hip areas. That being said, if you are a back or stomach sleeper this might be a good choice for you.
This is a traditional memory foam feel– expect slower response rates with the foam which may cause a “stuck in the mud” feel. Tempur-Pedic claims their foam is unlike any other memory foam mattress. However, we did not see much of a difference in the feel compared to the many mattresses we have tested.
The great thing about memory foam is ability to isolate motion. It was no surprise that the Tempur-Cloud performed very well in this category. We felt very little to no motion transfer on this mattress.
The Tempur-Pedic is more of a firmer mattress and performed better than most memory foam mattresses in the edge support category. We did not feel as if we were going to roll off the bed and when you sit on the edge it did not compress too much.
Typical memory foam mattresses sleep hot, however, Tempur-Pedic has cooling properties in their top cover. We felt the Tempur-Cloud slept neutral, not hot but neither cool. The top cover is also made from a material that is supposed to wick away moisture.
Tempur-Cloud Prima Overview
100 Nights – If you don’t like the mattress for any reason and would like to return it, you can with in 100 nights of your purchase date. There is no additional cost and they will come pick it up.
Tempur-Pedic offers a 10 year limited warranty.
FREE curbside shipping in the contiguous USA. We found the shipping to be a little awkward and cumbersome. The mattress does not come compressed, but rather, in a box, in a fully expanded state. We definitely find the increasingly popular bed-in-a-box model to be much more convenient for the consumer.
Tempur-Pedic is one of the more expensive memory foam brands we’ve tested. The Tempur Cloud Prima is one of the least expensive in their line up and can be found on Amazon starting at $1999 for a Queen.
38 X 74
38 X 80
53 X 74
60 X 80
76 X 80
72 X 84
Is the Tempur-Cloud Prima right for you?
The bottom line is Tempur-Pedic is a giant in the memory foam world, having been one of the 1st companies to start making memory foam mattresses in the 90s. Their mattresses offer sleepers a classic memory foam feel — slow moving, with deep sinkage for deep relief of pressure.
Tempur-Pedic is a luxury memory foam brand. As such, it’s not a great fit for shoppers on a tight budget.
We recommend the Tempur-Cloud mattress if:
- You want a true memory foam feel.
- You like purchasing from a company with a long track record in the industry.
The Tempur-Cloud might not be the right fit if:
- Memory foam mattresses are just not your type.
- You’re looking for a budget mattress, this is the most expensive memory foam mattress we have reviewed so far.
- You want CertiPUR-US certified foams. Tempur-pedic is not on the list of companies that participate in this health and safety feature.