What is a foam mattress?
I am sure you have heard of the term bed-in-a-box. That actually started with a company, bedinabox.com, in 2006. For the next 6 years they were the only prominent company and slowly the market started to grow with companies such as Casper and Ghostbed. Now there are so many companies to choose from it can sometimes be overwhelming when trying to shop for a mattress online. That’s where we come in. We have tested 4 of the top foam mattresses in our Foam Bed Comparison 2019 and have put together, what we think are the important features of each in one place. This will hopefully save you time and ease your mind on making this hard decision.
Is an all foam mattress right for you?
All foam mattresses will be a great choice for many people. There are many benefits of purchasing an all foam mattress over the other styles such as hybrids, spring or airbeds. Hybrid and spring mattresses don’t isolate the motion quite as well as an all foam mattress. That being said, if you and your partner move around a lot an all foam mattress would be a good choice for you. Hybrid and Spring mattresses both tend to be really heavy. This can affect people who move around a lot or those with back issues and have trouble lifting the bed to make it each time.
We personally love airbeds, however, they can be very expensive and can be heavy as well. Also, some people don’t want the hassle of finding or changing their air setting and just want a simple mattress. Overall, a foam mattress would be a great choice for anyone looking for a reasonably priced mattress with great pressure relief and support. Furthermore, the great thing about all 4 of these mattresses is they all have a sleep trial. What does this mean for you? That means you can try the mattress at home without the pressure of deciding on a mattress after a few minutes of trying in the store.
Which Mattress should you get?
We have tested many wonderful mattresses, however the 4 we list in this review are our top picks. Each bed has many shared benefits as well as well as its own and we have awarded each one with a specific category it performs best in. You might ask, how did we pick these 4 mattresses over the others we have tested? We use a rating system to rate each bed. We spend a few weeks with each mattress and rate it on customer satisfaction, warranty, affordability, delivery, off-gassing, temperature balancing, motion transfer, edge support, pressure relief and support. Our rating system aside, every person has unique needs for a mattress, hence, our favorite mattress might not be yours. With that said, if you would like a personal recommendation for your unique needs please reach out to us, we would be happy to help.
Memory foam in general has a tendency of running hot during the night. The makers of Snuggle-Pedic have developed a patented air flow transfer design to help keep you cool and allow breathability in your mattress all night long. Their slogan is “The Mattress that Breathes”. The Snuggle-Pedic has a memory foam feel with a little extra buoyancy. When you initially lay down on the mattress you will slowly sink in, which will provide great pressure relief, however, you won’t get that stuck in the mud feeling as with some other memory foams. This mattress has more of a medium feel overall, but has a softer surface feel and plushness. (They use a 25% firmer ILD base than most other Bed In A Box companies. So even though it feels more plush, you won’t sink into the base as much when you lie on the mattress).
- Great Price
- Great for side sleepers
- CertiPUR-US certified foams
- Greenguard certified components
- Excellent breathable cooling benefits
- Little to no motion transfer
- Free customizations
- Pressure Relieving
- If you prefer a coil or hybrid mattress this may not be a great fit for you.
- Heavier individuals and stomach sleepers that prefer a firm mattress may need to take advantage of their free customization for a firmer mattress.
Snuggle-Pedic is one of the top rated mattresses on Amazing for 3 years running. When we tested the Snuggle-Pedic, we could see what everyone was raving about. We loved the fact that their foam is CertiPUR-US and that their mattresses are made in the USA. Coupled with the great price and longer than average warranty, this mattress is a great choice. Some heavier individuals and stomach sleepers that prefer a firmer mattress may need to take advantage of their free customization policy. This will allow you to take advantage of their modular cover system to send re-enforced layering in order to get the support needed. That being said, an additional benefit with this mattress is the adjustability. If you are not completely satisfied with the feel of the foam they will send you a replacement that will better suit your needs at no additional cost to you.
We feel the patented airflow transfer system worked very well and provided great temperature balancing benefits all night long. I read in some reviews that it slept hot and wanted to point out that because of the aeration its best to have a mattress protector and sheets that are breathable as well. If you don’t, the airflow transfer system might not work. With that said, if you sleep hot at night this will be a great choice for you. When comparing to these other brands we reviewed, Snuggle-Pedic has definitely set the precedent for cooling comfort and mattress customization.
Firmness with adjustability
The Snuggle-Pedic has a medium to soft feel and we give it a rating of 6 on the firmness scale. Again, we love that they will send out a more firm or soft foam if you are unsatisfied with the feel of this mattress. This makes it very versatile and capable of accommodating all types of sleepers.
Cooling Mattress Construction
The Snuggle-Pedic mattress is a classic memory foam mattress with lots of great features that you will love. Let’s take a look at the construction of this breathable mattress.
- Breathable cover: Their proprietary Kool-Flow cover is made of an ecofriendly viscose bamboo, polyester and lycra. Along with being ecofriendly bamboo is also inherently dust mite resistant and wicks away moisture. The micro-vent stitching throughout the material adds to the breathability and allow the air to flow from the layers underneath. The cover has a very soft stretchy feel and can be unzipped and removed easily for washing.
- 3” Snuggle-Flex memory foam: This has a more buoyant feel than typical memory foam however it still has a slower response when you lay down. This layer has aerated holes to allow the air to flow and keep you cool throughout the night.
- Base Foam: This is a firm support layer that has channels in it that allows air to flow and fully circulate when communicating with the aerated foam above.
Are you looking for a memory foam mattress that is affordable and really comfortable? If you answered yes, then the Nectar mattress might be for you. It has a wonderfully soft memory foam feel, with one of the best warranties and sleep trials in the industry. What we really loved about Nectar, was the plush feel of the memory foam and the trial period of a whole year. With a full 365 days to try the mattress, you literally have nothing to lose.
- Exceptional Price Point
- Temperature Balancing
- Little to no motion transfer
- Pressure Relieving
- Forever Warranty
- 365 night sleep trial
- Might be too soft for some people
- If you don’t like a memory foam feel, this may not be the right fit
What we loved most about Nectar was the plush contouring feel, with enough support to hug all of your curves. All of this at an exceptional price point! When you first lay on the Nectar mattress, you will begin to slowly sink into the conforming layers of the mattress. They all work together to provide an effect that will make you feel as if you are weightless, with relief for all of your pressure points, without sacrificing support. In addition to pressure relief, Nectar’s mattress also has great temperature balancing benefits. Each layer, including the base layer, has special channels that allow air to flow into the cooling layers above. All in all, if you are looking for a well-priced mattress with an unbeatable warranty and sleep trial, this might be the mattress for you.
Nectar has more layers than most standard “bed-in-a-box” memory foam mattresses. They also use CertiPUR-US foam. What that means is that the foam is made without harsh chemicals or gasses that can pollute the air. That being said, lets dive into the details of each layer.
- Tencel Cooling Cover: The cover is a cotton and tencel blend that will help promote breathability and pull heat away from the mattress.
- Quilted Gel Memory Foam: For additional plush comfort, there is a thin 1” layer of cooling memory foam quilted into the cover.
- Gel Memory Foam: This next layer is 3” of a slow response memory foam. It has a cooling feel and allows the body to slowly sink into the mattress. This is great for pressure relief and will hug the body with every curve.
- Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam: After being hugged by the gel memory foam layer, the 1.75” adaptive hi core foam will provide a more responsive transition on top of the base. Because of this transition, you won’t feel the dense base layer underneath, thereby providing even more pressure relief.
- Breathable Base Layer: To complete this cooling mattress is a 5.25” hi density foam that is channeled to provide additional breathability and cooling benefits
With the slow, responsive, pressure relieving foam, the Nectar mattress has a softer than normal feel for a memory foam mattress. We rate this mattress around a 5.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale. Even though it has a soft feel, it is still supportive enough to provide proper spinal alignment in all sleep positions. That being said, it might be too soft for heavier sleepers, or stomach sleepers who need a firmer sleep surface.
How many times do you wake up with a stiff neck or sore back? Level Sleep has come up with a patented design to help alleviate joint pain associated with poor support while sleeping. The 3 different zones of firmness work together to provide the optimal support for your shoulder, lumbar and hip area. Along with the clinical trials and being backed by doctors, we were excited to put this mattress to the test.
- Excellent price point
- Great for all sleep positions
- CertiPUR-US certified foams
- Little to no motion transfer
- Excellent edge support
- Pressure relieving and supportive
- Made in the USA
- If you prefer to sink into your mattress or know you prefer a very soft mattress then this might not be the best choice for you
- If you prefer coils or springs this might not be a good fit for you.
Is Level the right choice for you?
Level’s unique design provides excellent lumbar support allowing an even distribution of pressure through the pelvic, lumbar and thoracic areas. The lumbar support also reduced spinal compression, in turn, significantly reducing tossing and turning, allowing us to wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the day.
It’s easy to get caught up in wanting a soft, plush mattress but it can be difficult to get the support you need if your mattress is too soft. This can cause a hammock-like sensation due to insufficient lumbar support, which in turn, can cause lower back pain. What we found with Level was a mattress that was firm but in all the right places, the shoulders had enough support but with that gentle relief those side sleepers need to sink into the mattress. The lower back in cradled by the firm layer across the center that can be an odd sensation at first but quickly becomes your favorite aspect, after one or two nights we praised this design choice and came out better for it.
Its patented TriSupport feature makes it an excellent choice for back and stomach sleepers who find themselves needing a firmer mattress to prevent pelvic sagging and back pain. At the same time, Level Sleep is an excellent choice for side sleepers due to its LEVELsoft foam which alleviates shoulder pressure, a common problem for side sleepers.
TriSupport Foam Mattress Construction
Level Sleep is unique by using different foams to help support and allow pressure relief on the curves of our body.
- 4 Way Stretch Cover: The cover is a polyester blend that has a soft to the touch feel. It has a 4 way stretch to allow your body to move around the mattress without it bunching underneath you and to feel the comfort layers below.
- 3” of TriSupport Breathable Comfort Foam:
- LEVELSoft Foam: This foam surrounds your shoulders and head area to relieve pressure.
- LEVELFirm Foam: This foam supports your lumbar region, which is typically associated with reducing back pain.
- LEVELMedium Foam: Finally, this foam lays under your hips and legs providing just enough support to keep your back in alignment.
- 7” High Resilience Base foam: The High Density foam provides a solid sleep surface and is strong enough to last with their forever warranty.
Level is designed to feature the LEVELsoft foam underneath the head and shoulders, with the LEVELfirm foam supporting the lumbar and the LEVELmedium foam beneath the hips and legs. However, should you find the enhanced lumbar support to be too much you can rotate the mattress 180 degrees. In doing so you will find a hidden soft zone that will allow a reduction in the lumbar support. Level does suggest attempting the enhanced lumbar support as your body adjusts.
That being said it is hard to rate Level with a one-size-fits-all approach. Due to its unique design we think it worth breaking up the firmness ratings as follows:
- Head & Shoulders: 5.5
- Torso/Lumbar: 8
- Hips & Legs: 6.5
The Nolah signature 12″ is good for any type of sleeper because of their perfect fit, 2 sided comfort. If you’re a side sleeper you’re likely going to want something a bit softer to help alleviate pressure on your hip and shoulder joints. Back sleepers, however; will find themselves wanting something a bit firmer to offer support to keep the spine in alignment. We felt Nolah was especially good for side sleepers. They achieve this with their patented AirFoam, which is said to have 4 times better pressure relief. Pressure relief can be a big concern for side sleepers because of the weight being mostly distributed on your shoulders and hips. Nolah performed outstanding in this area. When we were on our sides on this bed, we did not feel the bed pressing into us rather the bed conforming around our curves to provide amazing pressure relief where we needed it.
- 2 sided comfort with reversible firmness
- Good for all sleep positions: side, stomach and back
- CertiPUR-US certified foams
- Made in the USA
- If you and your partner prefer different firmness settings, you can’t have both firm and soft on the same side
- Not great for those on a tight budget
Is Nolah right choice for you?
Since this mattress has two sides and we are both side sleepers we have been testing out the 2.5” AirFoam side. This is a true side sleepers dream and we felt this is one of the best side sleeper mattresses. When you first get in the bed you feel support yet you are able to sink in enough to relieve pressure on your shoulders and hips. My mother, who has fibromyalgia, which can make you very sensitive to pressure, said this mattress was wonderful to lay on and she didn’t feel anything pushing on her. That being said, this is a great choice for a side sleeper. As for the other side, it is wonderful to have the option to reverse the mattress and have that firm side needed for back or stomach sleepers. We have had some great night’s sleep on the Nolah mattress!
Double sided mattress to fit your sleep style:
The Nolah bed has two choices in mattress thickness, either 10” or for around $550 more you can get an additional 2”. Their trademark “AirFoam” has 4 times more pressure relief and temperature balancing allowing for a more comfortable cool nights sleep. We tested the 12” signature mattress that has 2 sides of comfort.
The construction of the first side, which is recommended for side sleepers is:
- 2.5” of Nolah AirFoam for cooling and pressure relief
- 1.5” of high resilience foam for soft support
- 7” of ultra-grade core foundation foam for structure and longevity of mattress
- 1” of the Nolah AirFoam
All you have to do is flip the mattress so that the 1” of Nolah AirFoam is on top. This side is recommended for back sleepers, stomach sleepers or those who prefer something more firm.
The Nolah mattress has two different sides and two different firmness ratings. We rate the softer side of the mattress around a 5 out of 10 and the firmer side around an 8 out of 10 on the firmness scale. This is a very versatile mattress with the ability to flip it and have a firmer or softer feel.
Every one of these mattresses made it on our top 4 list for a reason. All of the mattresses listed above have great benefits, some unique and some shared. Every body type, sleep style and mattress preference is also unique, so we are hoping this comparison will give you the information you need to make the best choice for you.
As always, all thoughts and opinions expressed in our reviews are our own. We hold an affiliate relationship with some of these companies which means if you purchase a bed through the link above, ASL Reviews will receive a small percentage of that sale (at no cost to you). This helps us with the costs of website maintenance and video production. We thank you for your support!